Posting Date: May 12, 2017
EDC’s Center for Regional Analysis is seeking an Economist to help drive the creation of a new applied economic research center in South Central Pennsylvania. This position will play a critical role in shaping the Center’s research and analysis, including developing systems to maintain and analyze business, demographic and economic information for economic development purposes, establishing early research and analysis outcomes that will build the Center’s credibility and profile in the community, and implementing foundational policies and procedures to guide long-term data collection, analysis and public reports.
The Economist will be expected to apply his/her expertise in economic analysis to identify important economic issues and trends early in the Center’s operations and to establish quickly the value of high quality economic data and rigorous analysis. This position offers a unique entrepreneurial opportunity for an experienced economic researcher.
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills, including deep knowledge of primary research and the ability to manage big data
- Intellectual curiosity and the ability to think critically
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and organizational skills
- Team orientation
- Entrepreneurial drive
- Identify and analyze economic and demographic trends, opportunities or challenges within the region.
- Establish, develop, and maintain monthly, quarterly, and annual indicators and identify peer communities to measure and benchmark the economic health of the region.
- Perform detailed research and economic analyses on a variety of applied problems.
- Prepare and present written analyses, reports, and presentations to a wide variety of stakeholders, including business and government leaders and academia.
- Establish a strong network of peers regionally and nationally to ensure the Center is following best and current practices in applied economic research.
- Develop appropriate economic methodologies and tools.
- Maintain and update data series from a variety of government and private sources.
- Build and manage a small staff team to include additional research support, business intelligence analysts, and resources from area higher educational institutions.
- Master’s degree in economics or a related field preferred plus a minimum of 5+ years of direct experience in either an academic or private sector setting.
- Independence, initiative, leadership, communications, and persistence.
- Thoroughly trained in theories, principles, and methods of demographics and economics and have demonstrated experience in statistical models, database design, and project management.
- Ability to perform an array of quantitative analyses, including regional economic impact analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and economic modeling.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, make presentations, and to be able to manage complex projects requiring ingenuity and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to compile, analyze, and report data to explain and forecast various research topics, applying mathematical models and statistical techniques.
- Ability to identify relationships and trends in data, as well as any factors that could affect the results of research.
- Effective use of technology; ability to develop and test designs, sampling techniques, and analytical methods; as well as prepare data for processing by organizing information, checking for any inaccuracies, and adjusting and weighting the raw data.
TO APPLY: EDC of Lancaster County has engaged TriStarr to assist in its search. Please submit your application (resume and letter of interest) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until May 31, 2017.
For a PDF version of the Job Posting, click here.